Police ready for annual kids' Christmas shopping event | Business
They protect and serve, and this time of year, Dane County law enforcement officers give back. To make sure that kids in the community have a happy holiday season, police from area agencies get together to help children shop for Christmas gifts for their families.
On Dec. 8, the 12th annual Shop with a Cop program will be take place at Target East in Madison. Police team up one-on-one with financially disadvantaged children from Dane County communities and
Monona Officer James Reiter has taking part in Shop with a Cop for nine years.
"It's really nice to be able to give something back to our community (and) show something positive as law enforcement officers," Reiter said.
After the officers and kids buy the gifts at Target, they take them to the VFW where they eat pizza, wrap presents and visit with Santa and Bucky Badger.
Reiter said Target East, Little Ceasars Pizza and a local VFW have partnered with the Shop with a Cop group for all 12 years of the program.
Financial donations to Shop with a Cop can be given at Madison Credit Union.
Upcoming Events near Monona / Cottage Grove
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIAA sectional semi final boys basketball: Sun Prairie, Mount Horeb advance
- DOJ: Man who supplied teen with heroin gets 10 years prison
- Planning committee votes to support Ashley Field, awaits board input
- Organization to hold school board candidate forum
- Police: Failing to stop for school buses to result in fines, demerits