Speeding stop leads to 5th OWI charge, sheriff says | News
A Sullivan man suspected of driving 20 miles over the speed limit was also charged with felony drunken driving, authorities said.
The Dane County Sheriff?s Office said a deputy stopped on a vehicle at 2 a.m. Saturday on suspicion of going 75 mph in a 55 mph limit zone. The vehicle was traveling on Highway 12/18 near County Highway N in the town of Cottage Grove.
The sheriff's office said the driver, 28-year-old Stephen J. Wleczyk, had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and open intoxicants in his vehicle.
Wleczyk was arrested on suspicion of fifth-offense operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, a felony. He was also cited on suspicion operating after revocation, speeding, open intoxicants and lack of insurance.
The sheriff said he was taken to the Dane County Jail.
Upcoming Events near Monona / Cottage Grove
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIAA sectional semi final boys basketball: Sun Prairie, Mount Horeb advance
- DOJ: Man who supplied teen with heroin gets 10 years prison
- Planning committee votes to support Ashley Field, awaits board input
- Organization to hold school board candidate forum
- Police: Failing to stop for school buses to result in fines, demerits